Sunday, September 27, 2009

How to be a good friend

First, let me state that the title does not in any way make the assumption that I am an authority on this topic. It only means that it is uppermost in my mind and my heart these days because I so deeply treasure my friendships. I want to be a better friend.


I began to make a list of ways to take care of these relationships and this is what I came up with.


1. Pray for her/him. This a selfless act that will make a difference. Prayers never go unheard.


2. Be honest in the relationship. You must be yourself so that the reactions by your friend are based on truth. If your friend asks for an opinion, respond in truth, not necessarily the easiest.


3. Make time for each other. Stop multitasking and really be present in the conversation.


4. Have adventures together. Be willing to try new things and grow as an individual. This brings fresh air to any relationship.



5. Enjoy simple, everyday things together. Treasure daily activities.

6. Understand that friendships are living and need care. Keep them fed with quality time and effort. Study them to stay in tune to needs and changes.

7. Family, spouses, work associates, school and church aquaintances are all relationships just waiting to be deepened with prayer, caring and time.

Do you have any more ideas that are missing? I am commiting to working on these friendships myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment